Since the first rated retailer report on 8th September 2012, we have had a great response from you with over 50 retailers’ displays of lads’ mags rated. Not only have these reports come from Birmingham where Shelve It! was started, but they have come from across the country. People in Coventry, Stoke-on-Trent, Blackburn, Southport, Bradford, Huddersfield, Leeds, Edinburgh and London have all been busy rating their retailers for Shelve It!.
A brief glance at these reports shows that a shocking 23 retailers are XXX-rated, 20 XX-rated and six are X-rated. Only one retailer – Marks and Spencer at The Fort in Birmingham – has received a 5* porn free rating. We want to see more!
We’re not surprised to see the worst offenders are Tesco and WH Smith – we’re regularly disgusted by the placement of lads’ mags in these retailers. Tesco and WH Smith have both been received seven XXX-ratings. Small newsagents and magazine distributors are also frequently displaying lads’ mags irresponsibly – four are XXX-rated and 10 are XX-rated .
So far, Sainsbury’s (one XXX-, one XX- and two X-ratings) and Morrison’s (one X-rating) are the most responsible. But they are still far from great.
What do you think? Are Tesco and WH Smith the most irresponsible at displaying lads’ mags in your area? Are Sainsbury’s and Morrison’s actually displaying lads’ mags responsibly or could they be doing more?
About the ratings:
- 5* porn free – no lads’ mags or porn on sale
- X-rated – lads’ mags and porn out of reach of children and covered
- XX-rated – lads’ mags and porn out of reach of children by not covered
- XXX-rated – lads’ mags in reach and view of children
You can report a retailer in a number of ways:
- By using the Shelve It! app on your iPhone or Android phone
- By sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- By tweeting @shelve_it with the hashtags: #shelveitbrum or #shelveit
- By filling this form on our website